Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ahhh, the Super Bowl.

With the festivities coming up this Sunday,you know, that thing called the Super Bowl, media coverage always is high. While I'd love to go on and on about how I think Tom Brady is overrated and how Eli Manning actually is better than his older brother, whom I'm sure you have heard of I need to stay on topic here.

With the media coverage ablaze in Indianapolis it gives me a great platform for this blog.

For starters I'll go off my personal experience, I use Twitter but I only follow roughly 20 people. As I'm checking my account on my BlackBerry right now I have five updates related to the Superbowl or football in general. Granted this does not directly related to the way I think of sports journalism and reporting, it does affect it because the way ESPN's NFL insider Adam Schefter breaks reports is through is Twitter account.

A very basic point is that we can get this news instantly. As soon as Schefter hits his enter button on whatever device he may be using we have access to that same information. How he seemingly gets the information first and accurately all the time is beyond my knowledge. But if you want to see how well this man works here is an activity to try sometime: wait for the day Yahoo! Sports has a breaking story then turn off all of your technological devices for a few hours, put ESPN on your television and watch how ESPN's insider has denied the report.

Anyways, back to the Superbowl and new media. While new media wont necessarily have an effect on the game itself, it will have an impact on the way journalists cover the game. I'd expect to see Tweets and network updates online more rapidly than in years past, just because of the society in which we live and the vast majority of people watching.

Another aspect of new media during the Superbowl that will be interesting to see is the commercials. Not necessarily the commericals in themselves, but the way companies are pushing technology in their products and/or services.

With all of these points in mind it will be interesting to watch how mew media affects the whole day. We'll only have 6 hours of pre-game coverage of only God knows what, plus the football game and the always too hyped half-time show, plus all the celebratory acts of the winning team, I'm sure we can oberseve how new media is affect sports journalism and reporting.

Have a super Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment