Monday, January 23, 2012

Here goes nothing...


As a sports fan having an opportunity  to get a grasp of the side of the sports business in greater depth is something I have always wanted to do. (It's never too late to transfer)

 I’m addicted to the lights, the fans, and the general atmosphere of athletic events. This is beside the point but I even went so far to start officiating high school level basketball in the Fargo Moorhead area.
A college basketball official giving a technical foul.
Photo Courtesy of NBC Sports

Through this blogging experience I would really like to analyze how new media effects reporting and journalism. As a whole I feel this is in the preliminary ages of study but there are a few prominent sports journalists who are leading the charge. They are not necessarily researching how new media effects their craft but they are the ones who are using social media most frequenty in the craft.

When I see the names mentioned in the article I’m quite surprised to see these are the ones leading the charge. The name that really surprises me is Woody Paige. I read Paige’s work frequently and watch him on Around the Horn on ESPN whenever I can but my impression of Paige is certainly not one of him being a tech-savvy person, rather I see him as being an old guy who wants to stay stuck in his “old fashioned” ways. If you're interested you can follow Paige on Twitter @woodypaige or read his work here.  
Woody Paige
Photo Courtesy of TVNEWSER

A way I have noticed new media affecting sports journalism is through the work of Rick Reilly. Reilly is the sports writer I admire most. His work is so clean and crisp with so much wit and intelligence involved that I think every aspiring journalist should model. Reilly in the past has produced two to three stories a week, usually all print until recently when he started producing feature videos for Monday Night Football this year. While the videos are just as good and inspiring as his columns video is obviously newer technology than print. You can follow Reilly on Twitter @ReillyRick or see his work here and if you're anything like me, those two places will become frequently visited websites.  
These are just examples I have come up with in a short time in doing very minimal research. Looking at how new media affect sports journalism and reporting will be quite interesting and very rewarding for me and I am excited to see what I can find in the coming semester.

Just watch Reilly's work.


(Updated April 26th, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment